We finally patched the ceiling around the ducting for our range hood so that it would stop raining insulation into our pots and pans. We actually did this three weeks ago, but are just now posting about it. Sorry for the delay. Travel for Mr. KaZoo and dissertation writing for the Mrs. have taken precedence of late.
- tarp to protect kitchen things
- plastic grocery bag to catch popcorn
- metal putty knife
- Fibatape wall/ceiling patches (one small, one large)
- joint compound (mud)
- plastic putty knifes of various sizes
- Scrape. First, we scraped the ceiling around the holes so that our adhesive patches would stick. We have a scraper specifically for this job, but it was too big to fit between the duct and the wall. Instead, we just gently scraped the popcorn into a plastic grocery bag using a metal putty knife.
- Patch. Then we attached these two patches, using the small patch for the smaller hole and the large patch for the larger hole. You simply peel the patches from the waxy paper backing, position over your hole with the sticky-side towards the wall/ceiling, press, and seal the adhesive around the edges. We cut the larger patch in half (approximately) to fit our irregularly shaped hole so that we could overlap the two rectangular pieces in a criss-cross to cover as much of the hole as possible. Where the patches did not cover, we applied Fibatape.
- Putty. Once the patches and tape were attached, we covered everything with joint compound, using the plastic putty knives to apply the mud. Chris preferred using the small knife to apply the mud and the larger knife to smooth it. The instructions on the patches said to cover them with a thin coat of mud (just enough to cover the texture), so we did a thinnish coat. What counts as a thin coat? Who knows.
- Sand. After it dried, we sanded it down per the patch instructions, but not so much that the patch and tape texture would be revealed.
- Rinse, repeat. Not really. The instructions say to add another thin coat of mud and then sand it down again, so we did.
With the exposed duct + foil tape combo drawing the eye, we’re not really worried about people gaping at our one smooth patch of ceiling. We probably won’t cover the duct until we’re ready for kitchen cabinets, but it’s not driving us as nuts as we thought it would. We’ve got plans to redo the ceiling in our main living spaces completely (beam and plank is what we’re thinking right now), so we’re not planning to add texture to the smooth section to camouflage it. For our next phase of kitchen ceiling work, we’re thinking of something like this (images courtesy of Houzz):
And for those following us on this journey on the range, a reminder of where we started:
And where we are now:
For now, we’re pronouncing the hood good.