Once we removed the old recirculating range hood and upper kitchen cabinets, we began the installation of our new hood. Based on the title, you can probably surmise that things didn’t go as smoothly as we hoped. Everyone loves a tragic comedy, right?
Eckeltricity (For all you Arthur Weasley fans out there)
You may recall from our post about the old hood that we discovered
someone mutilated our wall with a drywall saw and covered it up it was hardwired, rather than having an outlet. Our new hood required an outlet, so a new outlet was in order.
Since our range itself did not have a dedicated outlet either (not sure who did the electrical work for this home originally, but wow), my dad graciously offered to help us install two new outlets. We purchased the necessary materials from Lowe’s (2 old work boxes with wings and 2 white outlets–we already had some white face plates on hand) and set to work.
First, my dad did the outlet for the range. Because a stud was between the existing outlet we had been using and where we would want to put an outlet (hidden from view behind the range), we elected to just mount the new outlet just to the left of the range, which actually doesn’t look bad and allows for easy disconnection, something that came in handy when we were doing the rest of the hood installation (and will again once we reno the kitchen later). You can see the new and improved outlet location in the picture of the range hood install further down (no spoiling the surprise yet!). Plus by making it readily accessible, we can use the other socket for another kitchen appliance, and who doesn’t want more useable outlets in the kitchen?
The outlet for the hood was a bit more tricky. We had planned to put an outlet above and to the right of the
great white shark attack existing hole along a stud, but the wire they had originally used to hardwire the old hood wasn’t long enough. Upon exploration of the wall interior, we discovered that what had appeared to be a wire running from the ceiling down to the right of a stud was actually pulled through a stud from the left bottom. So after adding another unnecessary hole in the wall, we pulled the wire back through to its origin on the left bottom and ran it up into a newly cut hole on the upper left of the hood. It helps to have wire coat hangers and people with small arms (me) to pull the wire through outlet-sized holes in the wall. To make sure the outlet would be hidden by the chimney, we drew its exterior sides on the wall to make sure we stayed within the chimney’s perimeter.
We then applied some serious joint compound and patching tape to the wall where all the cuts in the drywall were. Not the prettiest, but a lot better than the holes. After waiting for this to dry and sanding it down, we were ready to install the hood itself. There may have been painting, too. You know I can’t resist a sterile wall when there’s cans of beautiful paint waiting to be used.
You may also remember that when we bought our range hood off Craigslist, we had to buy a separate mounting installation set. When you buy the hood brand new, a template for drilling holes at the right locations is included for easy install. Not so when you buy the replacement installation set. We used kraft paper to make our own template by laying the range hood down on its back on top of the kraft paper and tracing the holes with pencil. We then taped the template to the wall over the stove at the right height and marked where the traced holes were. So far, so good.
The directions said to hit a stud with just one of the screws for stability, but none of the hole locations lined up with a stud. What?! To remedy this, my dad measured and drilled two additional holes in the back of the hood so that we could hit two different studs. If you already have to drill new holes, why hit just one stud when you can hit two? This meant we needed more hardware than the mounting set provided, but this turned out to be the least of our troubles. Chris rounded up a few sturdy wood screws left over from a different project, and we were back in business.
Until we weren’t. The mounting set of screws and anchors that Bosch provides are incompatible with each other. Seriously. We now needed either new screws to fit the anchors Bosch gave us, or new anchors to fit the screws they gave us. Basically, the screws weren’t the right length to pop the teeth of the anchors at the right place for them to grab into the wall correctly. And for you skeptics, my dad actually convinced us to “sacrifice” one of their anchors just to prove he was right. Yup, it didn’t work. The screws stuck a mile out of the wall and wouldn’t go any further in.
Chris ran to Lowe’s (we live five minutes from a Lowe’s, so it is our usual go-to store for last minute home improvement needs) for the right sized screws and grabbed some washers to go with the wood screws for the new holes my dad drilled, but the screws he bought didn’t fit the Bosch anchors either. In fact, he couldn’t find a compatible size of screw for these miserable anchors at all–everything was either too short or too long. No just-right Goldilocks solutions to be found. Chris and my dad ended up sawing off the end of the stupid Bosch screws to be the right size.
Now we were back on track. Once we had engineered a solution to the hardware hiccup, we were able to mount the range with as much ease as you can mount a ginormous range hood. In the next post, we’ll give all the ugly details about the ductwork. In the meanwhile, we’ll leave you hanging with the hood and the new outlets.